Friday, June 15, 2012

“GO WEST, YOUNG MAN”: Photos from along the way

[“Little did I know that the ‘one-hour tour’ I had requested was a relatively flexible term... I was happy, therefore, to march here and there... for well over two hours. I have scores of photos to prove it.” Chasing my dad, Part 13]

Esquimalt Naval Base, Vancouver Island, April 26, 2012

I wish my father had been able to take the trip west with me, even though his many memories would have overwhelmed him. What stories he could have told me.

[My dad loved ships. “What a beauty,” he would have said.]

[Dad was not at Esquimalt for long but would have remembered
a few significant land marks. For example, the lighthouse...
"Who is on duty?" he'd say]

[He'd recall the Admiral’s residence...
"What's the old boy having for supper tonight?"]

[He'd recall old, red-bricked storage buildings...
"I wonder where the rum is stashed?"]

[He'd love the sight of the nearby harbour...
"I could live here," he'd say.]

[He'd recall the smells of the rigging workshop...
"I'm going to wander inside again"]

[He'd smile at rigging benches loaded with gear...
"That thick hawser reminds me of a story," Dad would say]

[He'd recall the Navy brig, hopefully only from the outside.]

Walk, walk, walk” says my journal about the tour at the navy base, and more. For example:

At 10:10 (10 minutes late) I arrived at Main Gates and the young intern Katie. B met me and cordially took me on the tour I won’t soon forget.

HUGE BASE w lots of history and KB was, for a young student of Political Science at U. of Vic.) a font of knowledge. Her grandfather was a Navy man, so any stories I told re Dad were well received.

And, yes, I did talk Katie’s ear off. However, I saved some stories and energy for others, because my day of ‘booked appointments’ wasn’t over yet.

More photos to follow.

***

Please click here to view more Photos from along the way.

No comments: