Thursday, June 21, 2012

Rare Family Photos: Jesse didn’t smile very often, if ever

[Jesse Harrison (L), Beulah Sweazey, Norwich 1933]

I recently received an email from Barry W., who has inherited his mother's box of photos in the last year. Inside he found an old black and white with the name Jesse Harrison on the back. 

"Is Jesse known to you," he asked.

I said that she was, that she was an aunt (now deceased). I thought the photo was very likely of my aunt since I knew Barry and his mother lived in Norwich for a few years, Jesse's hometown.

We met this afternoon and he gave me the photo. Jesse is sitting beside Beulah Sweazey, and is holding Darlene S., age 4 months. Barry said his mother was born Feb. 1933, so the photo is summer 1933. Jesse would be about 15 - 18, I guess (older than my Dad at least, born 1920), and she appears to be thinking about smiling, which would make this a very rare photograph.

Do you have a photo of my Aunt Jessie? I bet she’s not smilin’.

[Photo of photo by G.Harrison]

***

Please click here for more Rare Family Photos.

No comments: