Saturday, June 16, 2012

Things I Like in London 3


Yes, I own a world-famous belt. From Quigley’s Leather Works. London, Ontario. 1969. Five dollars. It holds my pants up. I like that about it.

[“My belt is showing signs of wear. Yikes.”]

A local reader, after reading my column about said famous belt, wrote me a hand-written letter. When my wife handed me the letter I said, “I bet this is from someone who is at least 85-years old.” And I was right. I talked to the sender yesterday on her front porch. She is 93.

[Betty L.’s belt is in much better shape. She said,
“I didn’t wear it as much as you did.”]

[“The ladies’ version is half the width of mine”]

In the letter she mentions her own belt, bought also in the 1960s. She couldn’t recall how much she paid. (How is it that I can recall what I spent on the belt, to a nickel!? And yes, I still have the first dollar I ever earned. Why do you ask?)

[“One of Betty’s Teddies isn’t done. That’s why
there's a needle sticking out of its ear.”]

Her belt is in very good condition but is half the width of mine. So, she likely paid two or three dollars at the time.


I like her hand-written letter. In it she told me a story that made me truly smile, then laugh right out loud. (More to follow).

I like that she welcomed me to her front porch and let me take a few pictures of her belt and two Teddies.

Thanks, Betty.

***

Please click here to view Things I Like in London 2

No comments: