Monday, July 9, 2012

It Strikes Me Funny: “Would Londoners enjoy a bicycle museum or industry?”

This week’s column relates to a search I’m conducting for a 1959 red CCM bicycle - like one I received for my 10th birthday.

Though I have a great new bike, I began to think more earnestly about finding a ’59 CCM after encountering three people last week who ride lovely old bikes. (They’ll each be mentioned in the column, out on Thursday).

[“Jessica Bryce of London with her mother’s 1985 Sakai”]

[“A mid-1980s Miyata ‘Two Ten’, owned by
the proprietor of The Village Idiot, London”]

[“Reg Watson, of Wortley Rd., London is proud
of his Sakae Custom 10-speed, circa 1975”]

[“Reg W. also owns a rare Eatons 3-speed cruiser,
purchased used in 1974 for $50”]

And while writing the column about people and their appreciation of good old bikes, I thought that London could easily create an interesting bicycle museum. Many Londoners would surely also benefit from a bicycle industry, bike accessories industry, more bike paths, etc. Do you think so?

[Photos by G.Harrison]

***

Please click here for more It Strikes Me Funny

No comments: