Monday, February 11, 2013

Fun and Fitness: "Always have a good book handy"

I had my work cut out for me last night. I needed to pedal 36 miles on my exercise bike to reach my week's goal, i.e., 105 miles of pedalling or other such exercise.

["I did it! I even pedalled 0.2 extra miles! That's huge" : ) ]

Fortunately, I'm reading a very good book at the  moment re WW2, 'An Army at Dawn', and I'm at the part where the US and English troops are trying to move east from the north shores of North Africa (Nov., 1942) to engage and dispatch the German forces in Tunis. Tough times for all concerned, I know, including my father.

Father was a member of the RCNVR from 1941 - 45 and helped bring landing craft ashore in North Africa, Sicily and Italy. As a Leading Seaman (later a Coxswain) he delivered troops, jerry cans full of gasoline, bulldozers, and whatever else an army needed to wage a war upon land.

So, when I have a long way to pedal, a good book keeps the fire going.

Photo by GH

***

Please click here for more Fun and Fitness



No comments: