Wednesday, February 20, 2013

The Workshop: "Time to get fussy"

At five minutes to three on Monday I stepped back from my work, brushed dust from my face and picked up my camera. I felt ready for a ten minute break.

["My main bench is almost ready for action"]

I'd just finished covering the east or back wall of the workshop with tongue and groove pine and applying trim where it met the side walls, floor and ceiling.

As well, a shelf, originally attached to the back wall, is now placed nicely - on the level - over my smaller workbench. And most cubbies are full, i.e., back in action.

["The smaller bench's work space will soon be well-lit"]

Two of the cubbies I will fuss over. "Display purposes only" for old hammers and a decoy.

I enjoy working in the shop for many reasons, and the touch of family history within its walls makes me feel that every project, small or large, is completed with some important meaning.

["The wooden hammer is used with some chisels"]

Great-great-uncle Hank Catton was a decoy carver and crack shot and I can fire off a wisecrack with the best of them. My dad was a prolific birdhouse builder and his hammer (and a wooden one from my mother) graces a top shelf, over-looking my own busy 'birdhouse building' bench.


Soon the clean-up and fussy-minded redo will be completed and shop will be back to business.

Stay tuned.

Photos by GH

***

Please click here for more from The Workshop

No comments: