Tuesday, August 6, 2013

It Strikes Me Funny: I'm a Food-E (2)

     "I'm thinking about transitioning from three meals
     per day to four. Not because I want to eat more food
     but because I want to eat less. I don't need more food.
     Just ask my stomach." G.Harrison, Aug. 3, 2013

I eat too much food. I'm conditioned to eat three meals per day - and everything on my plate (likely by Anglo-Saxon ancestors) - and the three meals are getting BIGGER each year. I must do something radical to break the spell. 

["Even this tuna slider looks big to me," says Robin]

At lunch time last Saturday I was handed a hamburger the size of a small car. It was excessive with a capital E. I knew at once that I didn't want to eat it all because I hadn't been chopping down trees since breakfast, hadn't been doing much of anything, so I just didn't feel very hungry. I had to decide what to do besides eat a big hamburger I didn't want, and a reasonable plan soon came to mind.

I said, "This looks great." And while dressing up my burger I cut it in into halves and saved some for later in the day. 

I felt I'd made a good decision at the time and no one seemed to mind. The day progressed, I ate the second half about an hour before supper, and when that meal was served I didn't feel the need to eat a lot of food. However, I did feel something else. I felt pretty good that I ate small portions for supper because I used part of my lunchtime meal as an afternoon snack. All in all, I think I ate the right amount of food for the day, not more than needed.

Transitioning from three meals per day to four may work for me as I try to eat less food per week, i.e., become less of a food-E. We'll see.

What do you think?

Photo by GH

***

Please click here to read It Strikes Me Funny: Food-E (1)

No comments: