Thursday, August 1, 2013

the ballot: it strikes me funny

["I don't need no early morning phone calls"]

The phone rang, more than once, before my wife and I had finished our first coffee of the day, to remind us to vote in today's election. To vote in today's election. To vote now. To vote.

Years before political party planning committees decided to make 'the phone call barrage' an election tactic, my wife and I came up with our own plan. We decided to leave our Elections Ontario card on the dining room table until voting day because we're supposed to take it with us when we trot out our back door to visit Poll 115.

Watch how easy it is. I walk across our back lawn toward the gate.

["I'm almost at my back gate right now.
This is easy. Next, I lift the latch."]

Then, I turn right and walk 100 feet to the polling station at Elmwood Presbyterian Church.

["Great. I can see the poll's yellow markers from my gate!"]

Though I make it all sound so easy, there really are two difficult challenges related to voting day. First, I have to remember not to walk into the big post that blocks vehicular traffic in the back lane way. Second, I must remain calm during 'the phone call barrage'. E.g., I received one last call (so far) after I returned home from the poll.

But I'd had my refill by then, so I was cool.

Photos by GH

***

Please click here to read the shop: it strikes me funny

No comments: