Monday, September 2, 2013

The Workshop: "one stack of cabins, coming up" (1)

The shop is a busy place at times. I sometimes maintain a 'stick to it' mindset for days on end.

Take this stack of log cabin birdhouses, for instance. Though they became a solid pile all in one fell swoop, individually they took a bit of time to cut, sand, assemble and trim.

["The wood, rescued western cedar, was a real steal"]

The pile of finished houses began its life as scrap lumber in the back of a friend's truck.

"I thought of you," said Steve K. when he recently stopped for a few minutes in my driveway on his way to a local landfill site. "Want these boards from an old fence?"

I gave the messy pile a look and a sniff and wanted it. Fence slats became birdhouses within the week. But other projects got priority treatment before I turned two rotting fence posts (4" by 4" by 6 ft. long) into logs for cabins and slats for roofs. The wait, in my opinion - to cull the oldest, shaggiest bits - was worth it.

Stay tuned.

Photo by GH

***

Please click here to read The Workshop: Real whoppers (5)



No comments: