Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Recipe for a Solid Birdhouse (2)

Recipe -

1. Cut and assemble the front, back, sides and base from red cedar. E.g., front and back - 8 in. tall, 6 in. wide. Sides - 4.5 in. tall, 5 in. wide. Base - 5 in. by 4.75 in. (approx.)

["I built six houses in one go. Saves time and energy"]

2. Build a small bench. Sit down, take a break. Or, attach it to the front of the birdhouse and let the birds relax.

["Put a few seeds in the wee flower pot"]

3. Add a roof. Birds find it helpful. Coverage required - 8 in. long, 5 in. wide. (I used two slats per side, approx. 3/8ths in. thick).

["I love being up to my hips in western cedar!"]

If you can find western cedar for the roof, as I did (from a boat dock that was being torn apart; final destination was going to be the landfill until I walked by and offered to assist with disposal), you and the birds will be happy campers for years to come.

Photos by GH 

***

Please click here to read Recipe for a Solid Birdhouse (1)

No comments: