Sunday, January 5, 2014

Bird Watching: "red finch at the red feeder"

I don't surprise easily but I almost jumped out of my red long-johns this morning when a small bird with distinctive red feathers appeared outside my window. Like a nervous Nellie it flew back and forth between trees and the red feeder every few seconds and I snapped photos when I could.






According to notes at the Cornell Lab of Ornithology, my visitor could be a House Finch:

     The House Finch is a recent introduction from western
     into eastern North America (and Hawaii), but it has
     received a warmer reception than other arrivals like the
     European Starling and House Sparrow. That’s partly
     due to the cheerful red head and breast of males, and to
     the bird’s long, twittering song, which can now be heard
     in most of the neighborhoods of the continent. If you
     haven’t seen one recently, chances are you can find one
     at the next bird feeder you come across.

It could also be a Purple Finch. Tricky ID, for sure.

What say you, bird watcher?

Photos by GH

More Bird Watching.



2 comments:

Lannie Good said...

Hi Gordy, Pordy: We had the same birds at our feeder in Bracebridge and either were told or figured from our bird books they were purple finches..lovely to see for sure..those feeders will keep you busy filling them up and bring a touch of color to those long, white winter days..love Lannie

G. Harrison said...

Hi Lannie,

I get different kinds of sparrows too but can't tell them apart. However, I do have a couple of good bird books around so I'll put one beside my exercise bike. Heavy wind and snow last night knocked over the feeder. News at 11.

Cheers, Gord