Thursday, February 27, 2014

World War 2: Connecting w a Veteran (11)

In a recent email I mentioned a book entitled Combined Operations to Lloyd. It is a book about landing craft, their role in WW2, the engagements in which the landing craft or barges were involved, and tells these tales with the help of the men of the barges. Though Lloyd is himself a man of the barges (like my father), and has authentic, historic photos from the 1940s in which I see familiar faces (including my father's) I am not surprised he has not seen a copy off the book.

["Clayton's book (left) inspired two others re Combined Ops"]

["Clayton's book comes highly recommended"]

I've been told by the author's son Steven, Combined Operations was typed on Clayton Mark's kitchen table by his wife. It was sold at Navy reunions and by word of mouth. My father bought a copy when it first came out in 1993 or 1994 and I would say now, twenty years later, it is a rare, essential book about Canada's role in the Second World War. And I'm going to get a copy to Lloyd.



Hi Lloyd,

I will try to find a copy of the Combined Operations book by Clayton Marks for you, then deliver, if you are up for a short visit. (If I can't get a spare copy I'll give you mine to read. Your son might be willing to scan it, a bit at a time for you.)

I don't mind the drive and should be able to find you easily. Let me know what would be a good or convenient day for you and your wife. I'd like to meet your son too, if he is able to visit as well.

Gord

I hope he's up to a visit. And I hope I can find a spare copy for Lloyd to keep.

More to follow.

Link to WW2: Connecting w a Veteran (10)

Photos by GH

No comments: