Saturday, March 1, 2014

It Strikes Me Funny: "Is it a bird? Mighty Mole" 4

A very high number of birds have visited the feeder this year - too many to count.


This particular feeder is likely popular with birds because it is squirrel-proof and filled with fresh seed almost daily. It is popular with me because it sits about 10 feet from my computer desk.                    

This winter I've observed that, though I seem to have the right mix for many bird species, sparrows flick some of it onto the ground. Initially, I cursed the sparrows for their waste! But, there is a sunny side linked to this behaviour.


A star-faced mole (or some other small critter) has made a living collecting the seed and caching it in snow and ice tunnels near the base of the feeder. And this recent discovery may lead to more unusual behaviour. That is, I may go a-tunneling myself, with pick, shovel and head-lamp.



What will I find in them there holes?

Link to Is it a bird? Mighty Mole? 3

Photos by GH

No comments: