Thursday, March 20, 2014

WW2: Connecting w a Veteran 15

On Sunday, March 16 my wife and I visited the home of Lloyd and Marilyn E. in Thornhill, Ontario. Marilyn cheerfully answered the door, took our coats, and while she and Pat exchanged greetings I stepped into the living room of their comfortable house and said hello to a man with whom I've exchanged many emails but never a face to face hello or handshake. Both were soon shared.

["Lloyd, left, has been contacted by a veteran's daughter. 
Her father also sailed aboard Prince Robert"]

Long and pleasant conversations followed, the girls at one end of the room, the boys at the other. Lloyd and I covered a lot of ground. He reviewed a story of signing up and then visiting many corners of the world in the 1940s that were very similar to my father's navy memoirs. He said he couldn't remember my father. "We were always on the move. There were so many of us, split into small groups."

I shared a copy of "DAD, WELL DONE" (a small book, i.e., a compilation of stories about Dad's navy days) and one of COMBINED OPERATIONS by Londoner Clayton Marks. At one time we retired together to his study. He showed me emails from others interested in his story and, as a result, I may one day soon be able to contact a fellow whose father also shared similar war adventures as Lloyd and my father. (I'd be happy if this 'connecting' gets longer and wider.)

Our visit ended too soon, but my wife and I had to be on our way, and Lloyd and his wife had other company coming that day.

The next day I wrote to express thanks::

Hi Lloyd and Marilyn,

Thank you again for inviting us to your house yesterday. Pat and I were very happy to meet you.

Your three books are top shelf, I think your naval memoirs book is a very significant as part of Canadian navy history, and I will think about doing my dad's book the same way in limited numbers.

I only printed a few of my father's book (for family and a few friends only), and though it isn't hardcover it was a pretty reasonable cost, $6 - $7 as I recall. If you or your son want to print more of your book that way in the future I can help w how it was done.

Keep well, Gord


I'd like to arrange another visit soon. I'll collect a few photos, circa 1941 - 45, Lloyd has not seen and collect details re other books he might like.


Coincidentally, after two years of HO in Europe, i.e., 'Hostilities Only', both Lloyd and father then volunteered for Canadian assignments, but on opposite coasts. Lloyd at McNab Island, east coast, and father at Comox, Vancouver Island. 

Good move, I say.

Photos GH

No comments: