Friday, May 9, 2014

The Athens Block


I discovered the single block beside the Thames River a few days ago and because I was walking at the time I left it upon the ground. Later the same day I learned a few things online about Athens Blocks, enough to make the block an 'interesting find', and when I returned to the same spot yesterday in the car the brick was where I left it. I brought it home and will say, I now possess a simple treasure.

Athens Blocks or bricks have been produced in Athens, Ohio since the 1800s and reportedly sold for 25 cents each in the early 1990s. However, thanks to petroleum-based tarmac and giant metal rolling machines, roads are not made from Athens Block very often anymore, if at all.



The Athens Block as history: Link to The Post

The Athens Block as art: Link to Athens Block Collectibles

And what will I do with my single block? Likely use it to hold open the workshop door on a hot summer's day.

Link to My Morning Walk

Photos GH

No comments: