Monday, June 23, 2014

East Coast 2014, Day 14

Destination Ottawa

For the two previous days I fought some rain, a lot of wind and many less than stellar roads. On the bright side, I escaped unscathed - other than tiring myself out completely, down to the last drop - and experienced enough dramatic moments to fill a book. The Lure and Labour of Motorcycling will be be a great read when I am done.

Today had a bright side as well. Great motorcycling weather, good roads and an early arrival time to one of my favourites cities in the free world. Ottawa, our nation's capital. Spiffy, significant and sturdy, and the last place I expected to get thrown in jail.

What do I do? I arrived in town and registered for three nights at the Jail Hostel on Nicholas St., just south of Rideau, minutes away from major attractions, e.g., the Parliament buildings, National Library and Archives, The National Art Gallery to name but a few, and important amenities, e.g., a fine grocery store and used book store with many rare WW 2 titles I have not seen in the past. My next three days are booked solid. Very little time to play.

But I didn't say 'no time to play'.

Photos taken shortly after my booking:

1. I made my escape from Jail Hostel through a side window. I dropped twelve feet onto the roof of a Mercedes. Was sitting at Chez Lucien for supper within ten minutes.

2. My cell, 416 in Block B, is opposite the guard's red chair. Guess where I put a 'whoopee cushion'? We all had a good laugh at the big guy's expense before falling off to sleep last night.

3. 416, Cell Block B. Hard time is hard time.

4. We have to grow our own lettuce and mix up our own noodles for soup. Fortunately, my dear wife Pat sent me a parcel with one of my favourite cold beverages. All is swell.

Photos by GH. 





No comments: