Saturday, July 19, 2014

The Workshop

Future T'ings

["Two chairs sittin' by the workshop door"]

Once I've made my trip to Copps Lumber - to purchase a large jar of brass screws - I will assemble two Rietveld crate chairs for 'a waiting client'.  I said "the best red cedar and gray barn board combo money can buy," and I meant it. By Tuesday his wallet will be lighter but he will be sitting pretty.

["Cedar wood sittin' pretty"]

Once the chairs are delivered I will start assembling a treasure box (four compartments, lid, three types of cedar, tricky inlay) from the above slats. Lots of fiddly cuts, assembly with glue and hidden nails, and professional-like finishing coats of satin and varnish. (I've got somebody working on my license so I can tack a piece of paper on the wall over the workbench: 'Three-Fingers' Sal says, "By Friday, by Friday," but I know it's just talk).

Busy times in the shop and sweet smells fill the air.

Link to The Workshop

Photos GH

No comments: