Monday, August 4, 2014

Bird Watching

Brewer's Blackbirds are Parents

 ["The female blackbird wants the dove to shove off"]

I spotted Brewer's blackbirds at the feeder at least two months ago and suspected they were nesting in a nearby blue spruce. Today my suspicions were confirmed. Both a male and female once again stopped for lunch in my backyard and they brought their young - for the first time as far as I know.

["Male Brewer's blackbird watches over one of his young"]

["A sparrow drops in to see what all the fuss is about"]

I suspect as well that the same spruce was home to successful families of cardinals and robins this year, making my $50 investment in the tree - over 20 years ago - a pretty darn good deal.

Perspective: Some long-term investments really pay off.

Link to Bird Watching

Photos GH

No comments: