Saturday, April 15, 2017

Bob Dylan Plays London.

I'm No Expert.


One album that gets a lot of play in my workshop is 'Time Out Of Mind'. It is described as "a stunning work" in Classic Bob Dylan 1962-69: My Back Pages by Andy Gill. Though not stunned by it, I have played it ten times in a row -more than a few times - before replacing it with another Dylan CD from a dusty, hefty pile.

All I will say now is, his music captures my interest. It has since 1963 when I was a fresh-faced 13-year-old. Even the old Bob Dylan captures my interest much more than other old artists I grew to like as a young fellow, like Ian Tyson, Gord Lightfoot, Willie Nelson, the Rolling Stones and all other comers.

At allmusic.com I checked out Bob Dylan's albums in Chronological order: 'Time Out Of Mind' was preceded by 37 other albums and followed by 14 others, signifying more than a long and healthy career.

When friend Reg and I go to see Dylan in London on July 6, Reg will be hoping to hear one of his favourite songs from 'Modern Times' (2006), i.e., 'Workingman's Blues #2'. And I'll be hoping to hear a bit of harmonica - for old-time's sake - in a song from the 1960's.

Andy Gill writes:

But whatever the merits (or otherwise) of his subsequent work , and notwithstanding in particular the greatness of 'Blood On The Tracks', it's upon his sixties songs that Bob Dylan's reputation ultimately rests: that extraordinary sequence of records which unerringly tracked the tenor of the times as he moved through his various incarnations as raw young folkie, prince of protest, folk-rock innovator, symbolist rocker and country-rock pioneer.

I won't call out a favourite from the crowd. I'll just let Bob do his thing.

Please link to The Way We Roll 8

Photo GH

No comments: