Tuesday, March 11, 2008

London Food Bank Challenge: Part 1 - Spend only $30 for food for one week

Jane Roy, co-director of London’s Food Bank, called two days ago and asked if I’d be willing to take the Food Bank Challenge and live on a very small grocery budget for one week.

She explained that an average household (2.5 people) earning less than $20,000 per year spends only $72 on groceries.

“How much money am I allowed to spend?” I asked.

“We rounded it up to $30 for one person,” she replied.

Though I immediately saw a lot of oatmeal and a frilly apron in my future I said, “Sure, I’ll give it a try.”

Once off the phone I sat down in my study with pen and paper and started a short grocery list. Within a few minutes I realized ‘short’ was definitely the operative word.


I also realized if I wanted nutritious fruits and vegetables and a bit of meat on my list I’d have to cut back on a few familiar routines for the week.

For example, there would be no coffee, refill, bagel and cream cheese at The Red Roaster for breakfast every morning. My budget would be shot in no time.

Nor would there be the traditional cold beverage after my Friday hockey game if I wanted to eat on the weekend.

It dawned on me there could be a good story in the Food Bank challenge.

It had a defined beginning, middle and end, intrigue, involved eating and I have a weekly deadline.

I smell Pulitzer.

[Visit Four Mugs and eat, drink and be vegan to see what I may be eating this week]

No comments: