Saturday, March 8, 2008

Really, I’m not 100% juiced but I wanna be

Ever since reading Sugar Blues by William Dufty several years ago I banned soda pop from my diet.

Get offa my porch, stop your knockin’, I say. Thou shalt not cross my lips.

I don’t drink Coca-Cola, Pepsi or Dr. What’s-his-name because even though I run on a treadmill and ride a recumbent bike 3 - 4 times per week I have trouble keeping my love handles down to the size of small pillows.

Besides, one beer or can or Guinness before supper is surely enough sugary drink for one day.


[I repeat: This is not me. It's definitely some other guy.]

“Since 1985, an American’s annual consumption of high-fructose-corn-syrup has gone from 45 to 66 pounds. You might think that this growth would have been offset by a decline in sugar consumption, since HFCS often replaces sugar, but that didn’t happen: During the same period our consumption of refined sugar actually went up by five pounds.”

“What this means is that we’re eating and drinking all that HFCS on top of the sugars we were already consuming. In fact, since 1985 our consumption of all added sugars - cane, beet, HFCS, honey, maple syrup, whatever - has climbed from 128 pounds to 158 pounds per person.” pg. 104, The Omnivore’s Dilemma

Now, I do like to drink real fruit juices but they’re getting squeezed off grocery store shelves by cocktails and blends and stuff that is a very poor excuse to cram more HFCS down my throat. (We’re buried in cheap corn, so get used to HFCS being added to just about everything we eat and drink.)

So, help. What’s a poor boy to do?

I want good juice in the fridge. What’s best?

4 comments:

Jane said...

Buy a juicer and make your own!
from
Juicy Fruit

G. Harrison said...

is there a cheaper and more convenient way?

at least cheaper?

Gord

Jane said...

I left another comment last night but it has disappeared. Perhaps I spelt the word below incorrectly.
Here's another way: buy frozen. It's cheap, recyclable containers, small and easy to store, there when you need it. Also works well for other recipes like my fave salad dressing for spinach: 1/2 c plain yogurt, 2-3 tsps. of frozen orange concentrate and 1 tsp of poppy seeds.
Very tart.
The salad dressing not you.

G. Harrison said...

i'm on it.

small, easy, cheap, recyclable.

sounds like me!

ceeb