Wednesday, March 12, 2008

True Canadians: Nice weather we’re havin’, eh, and what’s your dog’s name?

In order to dispel rumours that most Canadians hate their own weather I’ve decided to tell the entire world, one at a time if I have to, that True Canadians are not like that at all.

This important public service will take some time and likely be spread over 1000 posts, but I had hearty oatmeal for breakfast so I’m up to the task.

I admit there are some of us who do hate our weather.

For example, a fellow blogger at Four Mugs recently used really bad language to describe it and shared a quote from Canada’s favourite climatologist that supported her use of swear words.

And yesterday, one of the local papers called it the “winter of our discontent.”

But if you’re like me and take what comes in a mature and reasonable manner then I applaud you - and me. Because we’re True Canadians.

Now, I like to talk about the weather as much as the next guy but if somebody takes a snipe at it I make a more appropriate remark.


For example: “What the heck can I do about it? Spring will get here when it gets here.”

Or, “The snow is good for us. It kills the bugs.”

And then I ask them about their spouse or dog. (We talk about dogs a lot in Canada because more people have dogs than spouses.)

While they’re distracted I slip away.

No comments: