Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Live Small & Prosper: Lake Huron - singing sand and more dry land

A friend and I visited Black Creek Provincial Park yesterday to see if it would be suitable for future camping or swimming adventures.

The answer: Yes and no. Though it’s located on the ever-expanding shore of Lake Huron west of Ferndale - and I’d like to camp and swim there before the water disappears completely - I’ll never find it again.


[Messages and melodies in the sand]

We were fortunate enough to locate it yesterday thanks only to directions from a person who lives a few kilometers from the park.

After playing in the water for a few minutes I asked myself a few questions:

Is lack of money for signage a problem for provincial parks? We only saw one sign and it was at the entrance to the park.


[The one and only sign telling us there is a park at Black creek]

Is the water level getting lower chiefly because of our insatiable and increased demand?


[You actually can take a long walk off a short pier]

Should we start making lifestyle changes and sacrifices in order to ensure a healthy future supply of fresh water?

If yes, what would those sacrifices be?

Long showers? Golf? Watering the lawn? The backyard pool?

2 comments:

Theresa said...

Umm..yes,yes,yes, and yes. And drinking tap water, not bottled water.

Lovely picture of the sandy lake bottom - I can almost feel my toes in the warm water!

G. Harrison said...

Thanks for visiting, theresa.

my friend said the water was warm enough for a swim. but it was pretty shallow so in 3 feet of water I bet it would have been a chore.

GAH