Sunday, May 25, 2008

Besides enjoying fowl weather, keeping chickens runs in the family

My dad kept chickens in a small coop attached to a medium-sized barn inside the village limits of Norwich for many years.

No one ever complained about them, including anyone in my family - especially while tucking into a Sunday supper of chicken, potatoes and vegetables picked fresh from our well-stocked garden.

As I recall, the pleasant aroma of roasted chicken on my plate was a tad better than the smell of the coop.


From my first book of prose, January 1974:

“Chickens of Ordinary Stature”

mildly,
chickens smell like
the dickens.
usually, they lay
eggs between their legs.
from chicken coop
to chicken soup,
nothing left but
chicken poop.

gah

Hazel Nut says more about our family’s fondness for chickens @ Can You Crack It?

Go visit. I mean it. Go visit. [I’m just trying to egg you on.]

No comments: