Sunday, May 25, 2008

Recommended Reading: Elmore Leonard’s 10 Rules of Writing

Elmore keeps his rules short.

You can open his book at 5 p.m., marvel at his wit and honesty, study the illustrations by Joe Ciardiello and still be home in time for an ice cold beer before dinner.

Rule 1. Never open a book with weather

Crap. I wish I’d read his book sooner because my most recent short story begins as follows:

It was mid-afternoon and the sun was hotter than hell.


I felt as if a hole was being drilled through the back of my neck with a pick ax.

At the same time the woman who had just backed into my motorcycle was drilling a hole into my forehead with a stare so cold I swore my whole body was immersed in ice, except for the back of my neck.

“Git out your wallet,” I spat. “You scratched the paint and I don’t care what you say to me - you pay up today.”

***

I think the weather stays in this one case. And I think the hot photo helps deliver my message as well.

Any thoughts about Elmore or my brilliant intro?

[Please visit Monday Memoirs: Still missing a croquet mallet for more brilliant writing]

[See the photo in context]

No comments: