Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Recommended Reading: Elmore Leonard’s 10 Rules of Writing

I am writing a few posts about Elmore’s rules of writing because he keeps them very short - and at 5 ft. 5 in. tall I like short - and the rules will very likely help me become a better writer.

I dedicate these posts to other struggling writers as well. I know you’re out there.

By the way, I forgot to mention that the main characters in post 1 re the 10 rules are both real and fictional at the same time and will be featured in a short story that should win me big bucks.


This particular post is about rule number two and concerns a part of a story that sometimes gets in the way at the start of the story. I thought I should mention that right up front.

But sorry, I say too much. I should just tell you the rule and you can figure it out yourself.

Rule 2. Avoid prologues

“They can be annoying, especially a prologue following an introduction that comes after a foreword.”

Do you agree with Mr. Leonard?


[I said, "No prologues." See photo in context here.]

[Learn more about this American author and his brilliant books here. And you know I don't use the word brilliant lightly.]

[You will find my brilliant post re Rule 1 at this location.]

1 comment:

G. Harrison said...

hi shinoyan

i should use your picture in my Elmore Leonard series instead of the painting.

thots?

gh