Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Postcards and Prose From the Side of the Road

A picture is worth a thousand words is it not?

[Sometimes a True Canadian lyric is too.]

Shortly after stepping off my bike, camera in hand, at the edge of County Rd. 74 south of Mapleton on Sunday I discovered the batteries were dead.

No postcards today, I thought.

But the scene was worth remembering so I made a few notes while sitting at the New Sarum Diner. (Cheeseburgers are up to $3.55 now.)


[Mud swallow from another Sunday ride]

a rolling field of winter wheat
tossed beneath the wind’s hand.
I knelt low beside its edge
to catch the smell of earth and soil.
at the sound of my shuffling boots
a swallow darted from the shifting green
then watched me from a wire.

Click here for more Postcards From the Side of the Road

.

No comments: