Saturday, June 7, 2008

Top Ten Motorcycle Rides (so far): Discovering Ontario in one pair of pants

Though my hair is graying I’m still quite young in motorcycle years.

I bought my first bike in 1990, a lightly-used 1983 750cc Honda Shadow.

I knew it was special the first time I put my butt on the seat and learned shortly thereafter that 1983 was the first year the 750 Shadow came off the line.

It was big, fast, had a dent in the Candy Wineberry red tank, took me easily wherever I wanted to go (10,000 km. in two years) but because I needed money to keep my car on the road it went by the by.


[Click here to see more pictures of the '83 Shadow]

After riding a couple of other smaller bikes for another 15,000 kms I’m now on a 1984 1000cc Yamaha Virago. (Coincidentally, 1984 was the first year 1000s came off the Yamaha line.)

It’s big, fast, has a faint scratch on the wildberry red tank, takes me very easily wherever I want to go (10,000 km last year, including along the north shore of Lake Superior to Thunder Bay) and though I need money for a major house reno I have no intention to sell it.


[Photo: Yesterday, at the end of 4th St. in Long Point]

The Virago sits like a champion in the front driveway and I hope I can save enough money to get to Halifax this year.

However, if that doesn’t work out in the next few months (the reno has a life of its own) I’ll bike around South Western Ontario and beyond, and happily repeat some of my favourite rides.

Though my Top 10 will definitely change as more months, years and miles go by I’ll post what I have for now, one great ride per week (not in order of distance or importance).

Do you ride? I’d like to read about your bike(s) and favourite routes.

Click here for an interesting record: The History of the Honda Shadow

Next week: Discovering Ontario in one pair of pants - Highway 59


[Photo: Proprietor and fellow bike enthusiast - Laura Lee Forrest]

“Highway 59 ends with ice cream in Long Point. It begins with coffee - but where?”

***

No comments: