Friday, June 20, 2008

We can do this: The age of austerity and growing self-reliance

A close friend and I both grew up in small towns, had hard-working parents who didn’t spoil us (we did that all by ourselves) and learned to make do with what we had - and have at present.

We’re now retired, enjoy coffee together on a regular basis and because most of our ideas are brilliant we find by the time our teapot and travel mug are empty we have solved at least two or three problems of the world.

After we talked about ways to do more with less due to higher prices, and repeating our silly mantra ‘hey, we’ve got arms’ (e.g. if something needs doing we’ve discovered we can do it ourselves because we’re frugal and...) I took him over to the house to show him my reno project.


My friend saw several wood scraps in the garbage can and said, “You could make boxes out of those.”

[This is the same guy who said, “Your old garage would make a great studio.” It’s now a studio/wordworking shop/local watering hole.]

“I already am,” I replied. “Bird boxes, with plans for more.”

I work on a few birdhouses every week. I also have ideas for several other projects. Nothing gets thrown out.


In much the same way, my friend turns bits and pieces of glass into works of art and travels far and wide in Canada on a dime.

As the price of fuel rises I am confident many other North Americans, as they learn to live with less, will also rediscover they can be self-reliant, live small and still prosper.

Click here for part of my definition of ‘prosper’.

You’re still here? Click here to read a longer version of my definition of ‘prosper’.

.

No comments: