Saturday, July 12, 2008

The Age of Austerity and Freedom from Things Part 2

Most North Americans haven’t lived small or simply for decades.

I think a tip of the hat toward a specific event and a subsequent attitude (two of several factors) are in order:

WWll

The belief we can do just about anything if we work hard enough together


But the combination of oil at $140 per barrel, gasoline at $1.40 per litre and the worry that every other thing produced or related to oil will soon cost more (2,465,336.9 other things at last count) will affect the way we live and think.

Before going on a short vacation I asked these questions in the short post below:

“What will you shed? What will you gain in return?”


[Photo by GAH: Live Small and Prosper]

And upon my return (brilliant photos to follow) I read the following responses from 3 readers.

Barb said...

I am all for the smaller waistline, so I will first give up junk stuff that I don't need anyway. I am also for boosting the local economy so I will shop more farm markets.

Carmi said...

I'll be spending a lot more time on two wheels than four. I've always enjoyed the experience more, anyway.

And I'll push more ultra-distance rides than before. It's time to make trips to Grand Bend and Port Stanley more than once-a-year goals.

Heidi said...

I think I will focus more on shopping locally... and gain more of a sense of community. (What a cool trade-off that is!)

I listed the above comments for two reasons:

Turbulent times ahead won’t be a ‘WWlll’ but a real battle nonetheless.

There are always people - good thing too - who believe, when the going gets tough, we can do just about anything if we work hard enough together.

[Click here to read The Age of Austerity will have a bright side]

.

No comments: