Monday, July 7, 2008

The Age of Austerity and the Freedom from Encumbrances

Eric Margolis finished a recent article by saying:

“Most analysts believe oil will stay above $100 from now on. Meaning North Americans better get used to small cars, small portions, small homes and smaller waistlines.”

If oil hits $250 as soon as some analysts predict (6 - 8 months) the move toward smaller lifestyles should begin in earnest.

I agree with Mr. Margolis. We “better get used to small cars, small portions etc.”

However, I think items on his list will be among the hardest possessions to shed.


Something else will happen first.

1001 smaller consumables will disappear and as they do a certain freedom will return.

What will you shed? And what will you gain in return?

[Click here to read The Age of Austerity will have a bright side]

.

3 comments:

Barbara said...

I am all for the smaller waistline, so I will first give up junk stuff that I don't need anyway. I am also for boosting the local economy so I will shop more farm markets.

carmilevy said...

I'll be spending a lot more time on two wheels than four. I've always enjoyed the experience more, anyway.

And I'll push more ultra-distance rides than before. It's time to make trips to Grand Bend and Port Stanley more than once-a-year goals.

Nestor Family said...

I think I will focus more on shopping locally... and gain more of a sense of community. (What a cool trade-off that is!)