Thursday, July 31, 2008

It Strikes Me Funny: As Mayor, how do I entice drivers to switch to electric?

I don’t know about yours but our city’s CO2 emissions related to transportation are through the roof and not coming down.

Good news is on the horizon, however, because our province’s transportation minister said the following recently about low speed electric vehicles:

“I certainly want to see them (i.e. Zenns and Nemos) used in Ontario.” [full article]

As unelected Mayor of Wortley Village (if elected I will not serve - unless Guinness is on tap) I know that people will initially see the Zenn only as an expensive second car because of its low speed and short range.


But I still want to encourage many drivers to use one in order to cut emissions.

What can I do?

Provide a designated green lane for LUVs (limited-use vehicles e.g. electric cars, scooters)?

Offer free parking spots to send the message that low emission vehicles are preferred on our streets?

Coupons for a free car wash?

Cookies?

[There's more to this story]

.

No comments: