Thursday, August 14, 2008

Ollie and Me: Poignant moments now that I’ve seen the photos

To teachers and students of photography:

There is a unique opportunity for you to share your camera work (or play) with others at Written Inc.

Carmi, the site’s creator, invites you to participate in Thematic Photographic, and this week's theme relates to - poignant photos.

I fell in love with the following photographs of grandson Ollie and me as soon as I saw them.


I thought again of a few words a Greek restauranteur told me years ago, while playing near his kitchen with my first grandson:

“You get your children back.”

He was right.

There are times I feel strong regrets that I spent, as a school teacher, more hours during most days with other people’s children than my own. And as a young father I didn’t have the good sense to appreciate the treasure in my own house.


However, every time I now spend a meaningful moment with my sons and grandsons a bit of regret disappears.

[Click here to see another shot of Ollie and me.]

.

6 comments:

Barbara said...

These photos of you and Ollie are very precious. It's easy to see a special connection between the two of you. ---- Oh, and nice feet.

Mojo said...

Looking at these I find myself asking "which one's the kid?" I guess that means you hit the target right on the money Gord! Nice shots!
-Mojo

Nestor Family said...

Oh... I love these! Precious.

Heather said...

I rally like this post ... and the photos that you chose for this week's theme ... priceless!

G. Harrison said...

barb, it took me a second to figure out the words 'oh, and nice feet'. good detective work on your part.

heidi and heather picked words to describe the photos that fit Ollie as well in my book. grandsons fit into the category of 'world's best friends'.

and mojo, i think if I cultivate 'the kid' in me i'll do okay in the long run.

cheers to all,

gord h.

smarmoofus said...

Beautiful photos, Gord. *wistful* You may regret time not spent with your kids when they were young, but you appreciate what you have now and that's just as important. Enjoy it.

-smarmoofus