Sunday, September 7, 2008

Coffee Time: PM Harper has his ducks in a row but can’t pitch

I walked into the Red Roaster earlier this morning and declared to a few regulars:

“I just heard my first election speech. Get out your pencils to vote.”

No one was too surprised or hopeful that much change would result from an election.

I was surprised to learn, however, that Mr. Harper used to work for one of the coffee drinkers at a nearby table.

After I remarked that Harper’s first official campaign speech reminded me of a boy with a pellet gun - shooting at little ducks in a row - I was informed of the following:


In the old days on Parliament Hill, when the current Prime Minister was just a tad in his twenties and baseball could be played outside the Commons without security present, he would sit off to the side and read copies of The Economist.

Baseball - a team sport - wasn’t his thing.


He was a numbers man.

Jots and tittles.

Today he pointed us toward the voting booth, pencil in hand.

Mr. PM, I’m more of a team player.

So, my jot is not for thee.

.

No comments: