Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Gord’s Workshop: Everybody needs to retire to a workshop

Because of an ongoing monster of a house reno I have felt inclined to stay close to home for several months.

This summer I had planned to take a 9-day trip by motorcycle to three Ontario parks (Killarney, Temagami, Algonquin) but didn’t go.

I wanted to hike to Port Bruce and camp for a week but stayed put.

I had planned to bike to Halifax but... didn’t go.

However, I have no regrets.

I travelled in other ways.

I climbed ladders and pumped insulation into the empty walls of my house, took old windows to the dump and drove to Home Depot thirty times.

Best of all, I collected scores of lumber scraps, walked out back to my workshop and built birdhouses, LP album frames, old-style carpenter’s toolboxes, birdhouses, boxes, coat racks, more birdhouses and a few other items.


I have a great time out there. While the dust flies lemons become lemonade.

I’m now ready for a monster of a yard sale.

Do you have a workshop?

Dare I ask - what goes on out there?

.

4 comments:

carmilevy said...

I don't have a workshop. But reading this, I'm inclined to put one at the top of our priority list when we eventually move.

I suspect I'd probably steal a corner of it to write, though!

Anonymous said...

I'm very glad my husband has a workshop so I can get on with things in the house.

When he's retired, I intend to send him to his workshop all day, I may let him come in for lunch I guess.

The problem with his workshop is that it generates lots of stinky oily washing. Environmentally-friendly it is not.

G. Harrison said...

hi carmi,

when you move hopefully you will find a house with a backyard retreat or attached garage that can be converted to a writing space. it doesn't have to be a big space to be well-enjoyed. my own is 8.5 by 18 ft. - not huge by any means.

it certainly is nice already to be able to step outside my shed/shop and onto a small deck in order to cut or sand lumber when a breeze is handy.

and plans are in the works for a drop down table near the rounded window to write upon. another stolen corner so to speak.

cheers,

gord

G. Harrison said...

jesse, i think Pat is happy I have my space too.

if your husband is not allowed in, for some reason, let him know he can borrow my spare hot-plate.

it has come in handy on more than one occasion.

ahh, the laundry problem. wood dust is not as bad and I've been trained to whisk off my clothes before supper.

cheers,

Mr. H.!