Wednesday, September 10, 2008

My Point of View: PM Harper, I have an opinion about diesel taxes

And - apparently - you’re welcome to it.

If I held the swing vote and Prime Minister Harper tried to buy me with his flimsy “two cent per liter cut in the cost of diesel fuel” he would lose the election faster than he could grease a skid.

“Clean out your desk,” I’d tell him.

“Diesel fuel is a stinky component of a noxious substance that fouls our land, water and air and is almost better off left in the ground.”



[Air pollution:see photo in context]

He’d likely try to sway me with his concern for farmers (they burn a lot of it) and truckers (they burn a lot of it) and the economy (though unsustainable it burns a lot of it) - especially in these tough times.

“As fast as we’re burning diesel and other fossil fuels we’re burning our bridges for the future,” I’d say. “How about putting that money into transition costs.”

I’d add, “Let the old generation of fuels pay for the next generation of sustainable fuels, research and development, and reparations to the environment.”

That’s my two cents worth, Mr. Harper.

Don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

.

No comments: