Saturday, October 11, 2008

Don’t you just love a yard sale? (Hey, where’s the cash box?)

Wanna buy a birdhouse? Cheap?

Next time, that’s what I"ll write on a sign to create the right mood because all I wanted to do today was clear out some of the wood working projects from the basement and workshop.

And though many people admired my coat racks, old-style carpenters’ totes, LP album frames, catch-all boxes, birdhouses etc., I knew only a few people would be willing to part with, in my opinion, a fair price for sturdy, hand-made items.

Okay, so you read my recent column and know I get some material at a very low price.

But you should pay a bit for a person’s labour, shouldn’t you?

Not according to some browsers.

“I love that coat rack. How much?”

“You’ll never find that style of coat hook again, and it’s made of red cedar, so $15.”

Zoom. The man was gone.


["Pssst. Wanna buy a coatrack?": photo GAH]

All in all, after 3 hours I broke even.

I made almost the exact amount my wife spent on a friend’s framed print.

The cash box is empty - again.

***

Are you a yard sale addict? What do you look for? What has been your best buy?

.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yea those are big hooks, love'em. I look for cast iron and my wife has been looking for baby things (33 week pregnant). Since she is so big she doesn't enjoy going out to garage and yard sales so we've been shopping the free online garage sales. Find lots of good deals and keep my garage cleaned out too :)

See ya!

Anonymous said...

Last weekend we borrowed a friend's 12' ladder and FINALLY the two birdhouses I bought from you are up in their rightful places. Ollie's is outside his bedside window and every morning he jumps up onto the blanket box (which lifts him high enough so he can see out) and takes a good look to see if there's anyone in it yet. "My" birdhouse is on a tree in the backyard so I can see it on my daily trek to the compost heap. I secretly check it too, in the hope of seeing some interest. I think we'll have to wait til spring though.

I do think that most people are unwilling to pay the price of "proper made" things. I note this in myself; now that I've given up Walmart - 6 months now since I saw That Movie - I see things that are more expensive, but then it takes work and consciousness to get off the Walmart gravy train.

I'm looking for Canadian made winter coats and boots but no luck yet.

To answer your question, I'm not a yard sale addict because I'm trying to avoid stuff and I don't need anything. I think I may need a catch-all box though ..... they sound useful. And another thing, do you take commissions?

G. Harrison said...

anonymous, your email is very timely.

the free online garage sales may help me with a few items that just keep hangin' around.

as well, a reader was prompted to write me after my recent column - he has 3 doors the garbage man won't take and wants to find a good home - so I'll send him your link.

gord h.

G. Harrison said...

Hi Jesse,

I was cheered this morning by the story of Ollie checking out his birdhouse.

Yes, spring holds more promise but he sounds like such a watchful guardian for whoever one day comes to settle.

Well done, Ollie.

I'll ask my wife about Canadian Made products outside of Wal-Mart. Mark's Work Warehouse and Novacks (downtown) spring to mind.

I had a great talk with a potential customer yesterday re the boxes. He loved the two with cedar bottoms, as did I, but was riding a bike and was rushed for time. I may start putting a divider in them so they could also be used as a small shelf unit. Multi-purposes may help them move away from the end of my driveway.

I will take a commission, certainly. Let me know what you have in mind and I'll put a few ideas on paper for you.

Cheers,

Gord H.