Friday, October 31, 2008

I can't get Mrs. Kelly past my nose

When a reader saw my picture of grandson Ollie in my beer bucket [see post below] she made a comment that reminded me of Mrs. Kelly's sauerkraut, also made in a bucket.

I wrote: My dad always liked our neighbour's sauerkraut better than store bought.

Mrs. Kelly (5 ft. 0 inches tall, 180 pounds) sliced her cabbage in the adjacent backyard, tossed it into a laundry tub with other ingredients, removed her shoes and socks and danced on it for 20 minutes.

I held my nose but many others ate it regularly.

I think because of her dance I invented the saying: I can't get Mrs. Kelly past my nose.


I've become a bit more self-reliant over the years, prefer my own concoctions over store bought (real oatmeal porridge, homebrew, soups, pancakes etc.), am thinking about making my own yogurt and now lean toward making my own sauerkraut too.

I know the dance off by heart.

.

No comments: