Friday, October 31, 2008

If we don’t shop will Wal-Mart or the retail sector dry up?

Recently I listed a few reasons why I won’t shop at Wal-Mart.

E.g. I’d rather borrow, barter or buy secondhand.

A reader later added a few ideas of her own.

E.g. I don't like the way they push the little guy right out of business.


Jesse then sent me this:

I heard the lunchtime call-in programme on CBC1 yesterday. Did you catch it? I thought it was terribly depressing.

One of the callers was talking about their home-made Christmas and the "Expert Economist" (the way I heard him) basically said, “Well, if everyone does that, then what's going to happen to our retail sector and consumer confidence?”

"B*&*#r consumer confidence" thought I and "yay for the homemade Christmas".

The problem with Walmart and the like is that you can, and do, spend way too much and buy too much stuff - which is just tat and harms those poor children overseas.

(jesse went on to say more about Chinese working conditions and her response. FYI. she is formerly from England and when she says ‘tat’ I think she means insignificant.)


["Shrinkage is a good thing, right?": Courtesy photo link]

In my opinion the retail sector will never dry up and blow away.

It will always be there, in one form or another, in order to fill some essential needs and so, so, so much more.

But a smaller retail presence may be healthier all around.

Though I’m no expert, I think our confidence as citizens will grow as we dial back our spending so it’s more in line with what our households and healthy local and global environments can sustain.

Shrinkage is a good thing, right?

.

No comments: