Friday, October 17, 2008

Reduce: The burden of higher food and energy costs

We’ve heard it for so many years. Reduce, reuse, recycle.

For me it started in public school.

The 3 Rs. Save the planet.

And now, with almost everybody taking a hit in their wallet the 3 words stamped on the outside of every blue box and inside of every skull in North America may just save people a whack of money too.

[Link to Almost everybody's feeling burden of higher food, energy costs - The London Free Press, October 16, 2008]

Or save at least enough to keep groceries in the house.

Though I find it fairly easy to reuse and recycle [“It’s in my genes”: link to my recent column] and will keep an old t-shirt on my back long after the print and colour has faded into obscurity I bet I’m not alone in saying it’s hard to reduce consumption in many areas.


[Courtesy photo link]

It’s true.

We well know "The greenest products are the ones you don't buy" [Leslie Garrett, local author: see Recommended Reading, The Virtuous Consumer] but we buy and buy and buy at our house.

I think it’s time for a Buy Nothing Week.

How about you? Will ‘reduce’ be the hardest word you will ever hear?

.

No comments: