Monday, October 13, 2008

Stop and Shop: Two more thoughts about Saturday’s yard sale

I like yard sales and Saturday’s was a darn good one.

Brilliant weather, many visitors (most apparently without $10 for a beautifully handcrafted old-style carpenter’s tote or coat rack), pleasant conversations and a few sales.

Sure, I only broke even but that wasn’t my fault.

While puttering in the shed the day after I had two more ideas concerning yard sales that may improve my cash intake and make me a happier person - on days when I need pocket change to pay for coffee.

First, I’ll build a light-weight bench, a companion piece to two chairs I’ve finished, and together they will live forever on my porch.

Then, whenever the mood strikes and I have a few items to sell I’ll simply move the bench and one chair to the laneway, place said items upon it and wait for the world to stop and shop.

Really, this plan is going to work because my second idea is a winner.

I.e., I'll make a few proper signs.

“Workshop crafts”

“Birdhouses”

“Catch-all boxes”


“This is not a garage sale where you'll pay 25 cents for an old stuff”

That oughtta do it.

Have you had successful sales? Any secrets to share?

.

No comments: