Thursday, October 16, 2008

When did I stop being a fussy eater? The answer may turnip soon

My wife fed Ollie at 12 on the dot today and though I was distracted by deep thoughts and typing feverishly (20 words per minute and I can prove it - slowly) the smell of leftover turkey and gravy hit me in the stomach.

As if by instinct the hunter-gatherer in me pushed away from the keyboard, walked to the kitchen and stuck its head inside the fridge.

I saw my supply of porridge but wanted something more exotic.

“Any leftover turkey in here?” I asked while poking my finger into cranberry sauce.

“You’ll have to heat more up,” my wife answered.


A few seconds passed, my thoughts shifted toward a veggie meal and my eyes settled on a bowl of turnip and a side of peas.

With a bit of salt, pepper and butter I could eat that, I thought.

Forty-nine years ago, had my mother suggested the same thing, I would have howled in derision or anguish. Then teased her until she reached for the fly-swatter.

Now, at age 59, I’ll eat just about anything slapped on a plate and shoved lovingly under my nose.

Who am I? How did I get here? Turnip and peas?

***

Have you gone from fussy to easily-pleased?

Why is that? How does it happen?

.

6 comments:

bobbie said...

Not only am I not fussy, but I never get hungry at all. Seriously - I have not been hungry for a couple of years now. You'd think this means I am slender. Hah! I eat because I have to eat, most of the time. There are times, when I'm on the computer for instance, when I forget to eat at all. It tastes good when it's in my mouth. I just don't remember to put it there.

G. Harrison said...

such an interesting comment, bobbie.

I can relate to your words:

there are times, when I'm on the computer for instance, when I forget to eat at all.

but i do get hungry - in a small way - at times. a cup of tea and a few biscuits gets me through til the next meal.

I wonder, however, if the tea and biscuit routine is partly a habit? you've got me thinking.

cheers,

gord h.

bobbie said...

Thanks for your comment on my Sky Watch. I couldn't find what photo you refer to in the other blog. Which date for the post?

G. Harrison said...

hi bobbie,

cheryl's photo is at the very bottom of her site. scroll down as far as you can go.

hope you find it.

gord h.

Anonymous said...

Mr H, you said "biscuits". I thought they were called "cookies" around here?

G. Harrison said...

hi jesse,

my Scottish grandmother Ida Belle Gordon and great-grandmother Lydia Elizabeth Campbell Gordon served tea and 'biscuits' every afternoon, cookies to most Canadians.

However, I was eating cheese and biscuits (crackers to most Canadians) when I wrote the line. I'm a muddle of heritage, habit and other thingamajigs.

Gord H.