Sunday, October 12, 2008

Zoom w a View: Pearl would not like my oatmeal supremo

Dear Pearl,

When I wrote about my by now world-famous oatmeal porridge recipe a few years ago you felt inclined to respond.

From your short email I deducted you are an oatmeal purist and do more than shrug when someone adds for example - almonds, cornmeal, cranberries, raisins, organic millet, quinoa, golden flax seed and natural wheat bran to the pot.

You wrote:

“Gordon, what’s with the nonsense of cooking up your oats for a whole week and adding cream of wheat and bran etc.? Just doesn’t add up to oatmeal.” Pearl S.

Was that a warning not to call my creation oatmeal porridge? I’m not sure.


["What would be a good name for this wonderful stuff?": photo GAH]

Anyway Pearl, I’m at it again, made another lovely batch, thought of you and renamed my concoction by a new and perhaps more appropriate name.

I hope you approve.

Regards, GAH

Gord’s Hearty Oatmeal Supremo

Into a large pot with 2 inches of water (approaching a boil) toss the following - and more - for Heaven’s sake:

1 - 1.5 cups of rolled oats
and a hearty handful of ground almonds
1/2 cup of natural wheat bran
1/8 cup of golden flax seed

1/4 cup of each of the following:
cornmeal or cream of wheat or both - live a little would ya
organic millet
organic quinoa
sliced seedless raisins
sliced dried cranberries
natural wheat bran

Stir to a rolling boil for 1 minute, then reduce heat to low simmer for 8 - 10 minutes.

Once cool, store in the fridge and enjoy for 10 - 12 days.

Whereas conventional processed cereals are often nothing more than a sugar delivery system to your heart and thighs, Gord’s Hearty Oatmeal Supremo is a content driven energy supply system that will make it possible to score goals with the greatest of ease (as long as it’s pond hockey and you’re playing with very young kids).

Enjoy oatmeal? Modify it much? How so?

.

4 comments:

bobbie said...

Sounds pretty darned good to me!

G. Harrison said...

Thanks Bobbie,

It actually does taste 'darned good' - even without any sweetener.

Cheers,

Gord H.

Theresa said...

That does sound good! So far the bravest I've been with my oatmeal is to add some dried saskatoons to it - quite tasty I must say!

G. Harrison said...

hi theresa,

while visiting north shore of Lake Erie two days ago a man who splits his time between Germany and the Yukon sat beside me in order to roll cigarettes.

while I jotted notes re DIY beer-making he mentioned he could make whisky out of several ingredients, including Saskatoon berries. I think Will Ferguson mentions them as well in Beauty Tips from Moosejaw.

are saskatoons picked only in the wild or are they cultivated? my favourites from the wild are elderberries and, though seedy, rival blueberries in my opinion.

cheers,

gord h.