Thursday, November 27, 2008

It Strikes Me Funny Part 1: Will my ‘no clothes’ challenge affect the economy?

To tell you the naked truth, I hope my recent column does affect the North American economy. I’d sleep easier at night if it did, even if my RRSPs stay in the toilet.

John L. emailed the following yesterday morning:

Hi Gord,

I have been reading your musings about the no clothes challenge and somewhat agree and somewhat disagree with the concept.  

I wonder about the ramifications for other people if we all decided not to buy anything new (barring undies, sockies) for a couple of years.  There always are spinoffs when one makes a decision. 


If an automotive plant closes down, then many other spin off industries close down and that affects jobs. 

I haven't really looked into the ramifications re: homeless, Goodwill Industries, Salvation Army Men's Mission, Diabetes Foundation,  Womens’ shelter, retail business in London, and so on.  

Have you thoughts on this? 

(When I buy something new, I give something away and usually to one of the charitable outlets mentioned above).
 
Have a good day and keep the undies clean.
 
John

***

I’m not kidding. John is concerned re my affect on the the economy.

And my underwear. What gives?

Stay tuned. I’ll compose a reply.

.

No comments: