Tuesday, November 25, 2008

No Clothing Day: If you’re Renee’s dad - don’t read this


I didn’t plan on a Part 4 for this short series (now longer) related to my decision to buy no new clothes until 2010.

Then Renee sent me a second email:

“Luckily my parents raised our family with similar views you have on living
small. We were raised to be environmentally conscious and to not live in
excess.”


[How could I not post that comment?]  

“I guess when I flew the coop I lost some of that, but I’m back on
board!!  I consider myself very lucky to be raised by parents who idolize
David Suzuki as opposed to Land Rovers.”

[If someone emailed you that last line, wouldn’t you blog it?]

“As well, I have a 16 year old sister who wants to eventually be a fashion designer. Instead of shopping at the mall, she and her friends go to Value Village. They always look great and like individuals (which is very important at that age). I was surprised to hear this, as I remember being 16, and shopping at Value Village would have meant being an outcast in high school. I'm happy to see that their generation is overcoming this stigma and see the benefits of not being brainwashed my fashion magazines and advertising. Signed, Renee.”

[She then gave me the perfect ending].

“PS I really hope my father never sees the "50% of my pay cheque" part.”

Dear Renee,

Even if he did, he’d still be a proud father.

Cheers, GAH

***

Are you reducing your clothing budget? Why or why not?

.

9 comments:

Mystic Thistle said...

What you have inspired me to do is more repairing. I only shop at thrift stores because it's all I can afford, and I have 3 boys, so luckily this works well for hand-me-downs. But I have quite a few clothes that could be lovely repaired or snazzed up with a little something. I do tend to fight with the sewing machine, but I am going to work on our relationship!

Anonymous said...

I idolise David Suzuki *and* Land Rovers! They are the ultimate vehicle for self-sufficient people - except in North America of course where you just can't get the parts out of scrap yards etc.

G. Harrison said...

Hi Christy,

Renee has agreed to be interviewed by a university student for a TV project, so her ideas will get a wider audience. I think she has a great message re repairing clothes.

I've toyed with the idea of learning how to use a sewing machine but i pick up used clothes at such a good price. and my oldest clothes find new life in my workshop as 'painting pants' or shirts, so after a short while they aren't fit for the street or coffee shop.

good luck with the snazzing up (good word, eh).

cheers,

gord h.

G. Harrison said...

jesse, i don't know Land Rovers well, perhaps because we're buried with vehicles and parts from the Not-So-Big Three.

If they're a prize because they can be kept on the road for many years then I can see why they're right up there with David S. (he's been on the road for years too).

Ollie's train table is finished so I'm back to the doll house project for your daughter.

cheers,

Mr. H.

bobbie said...

My youngest was always a rebel. Fortunately, she usually rebelled against "Them" rather than against me. When she was in high school, she hated the "In" crowd who all wore designer labels only. She marched herself to a thrift shop, and bought her clothes there. Always looked like a fashion plate, too. She still shops in such places, and she's 39. Still looks great, too.

bobbie said...

My youngest was always a rebel. Fortunately, she usually rebelled against "Them" rather than against me. When she was in high school, she hated the "In" crowd who all wore designer labels only. She marched herself to a thrift shop, and bought her clothes there. Always looked like a fashion plate, too. She still shops in such places, and she's 39. Still looks great, too.

G. Harrison said...

bobbie,

great comment.

as happens with other great comments, I feel a post coming on!

cheers,

gord h.

Anonymous said...

Yay! Thanks Mr H.

And yes, thanks to all your posts, I'm not going to buy inessential clothes any more. I say inessential because I don't have that many clothes and with two children and three landrovers, I'm quite heavy on them. So no more browsing around clothes shops, but more of a "I need a pair of trousers". And I plan to tackle Value Village first, although that means I'll have to hop into a car.

G. Harrison said...

well done, Jesse. trips to the village of values pays for the rover(s).

during an interview this afternoon I mentioned that i travel for free; money saved on clothing puts small amounts of gas into my bike's tank. and as I cut back on mileage i save even more.

cheers,

Mr. H.