Wednesday, November 12, 2008

One week’s worth of small pleasures

Part 3

There are some small pleasures I’ll never experience.

christy recently commented about one of hers:

“taking my hair down at the end of the day.”

My quarter-inch buzz cut doesn’t allow for combing or taking down.

But I do like cutting my own hair.


It’s a small pleasure I started about 10 - 15 years ago after Barb the barber charged me $15 for 5 minutes worth of buzzing around my head with electric clippers and one attachment.

I calculated that at $60 per hour I could save myself a lot of money over the years.

And I have, not even counting the tips.

Pleasure comes from not only saving myself about 20 bucks every month but from a lovely feeling of self-reliance that comes over me as I clean hair from my head and beard out of the sink.

And knowing my wife won’t have to say (for a week or two), “Your moustache is too long and it tickles my nose when you kiss me.”

Sorry, that’s a small pleasure I won’t get into at the moment.

[I’m working hard to keep a PG rating on my blog.]

***

Hair today - gone tomorrow! Is self-reliance a small pleasure for you?

.

4 comments:

bobbie said...

Self reliance is a very LARGE pleasure for me, and I seem to be losing it fast. Yes. It makes me feel very good.
And by the way, I cut my own hair too

Mystic Thistle said...

Yes, a year ago I started to cut my own hair and my children's. Maybe my husband should invest in this. Sometimes his mustache gets a little too long for me too!

G. Harrison said...

bobbie and christy, you likely have a harder time trimming your own that I do with easy to use clippers.

you're brave ladies.

my brother trims his own using comb and scissors in front of the mirror. fortunately i like 1/4 inch buzz cuts.

cheers,

gord h.

Mystic Thistle said...

Oh, I don't always do it very well, but am learning!