Thursday, November 20, 2008

Response to No Clothing Day article overwhelming

My story about buying no new clothing for 13 and a half months (‘til Jan. 1 2010) appeared yesterday morning.

After lunch I received the following email from Renee L.:

"It was a great read.

In August I had read an article in a fashion magazine (of all places!) about a lady who decided to forego buying clothing for a year.

As a young (perhaps fashionable) Gen 'Y' consumer, this article really hit a nerve. I was spending about 50% of my pay cheques on clothing. Some items I would only wear once, some would fall apart within a few washes, some would never get worn."


I’ll stop there for now because I need to ask, “50 per cent of a pay cheque on clothing? What?”

Stay tuned.

***

Fifty per cent? I can’t fathom it. Can you?

.

No comments: