Saturday, November 22, 2008

Response to No Clothing Day Part 2

My short story about buying no new clothing for 13 and a half months (‘til Jan. 1 2010) appeared last week.

One reader later said he’d buy no new clothing for much longer than that. He blew me out of the water!

[Read next Wednesday’s column for full details. Link here to this week’s column for context.]

Renee L. also wrote and confessed to two things I honestly found startling:

First she said: “I was spending about 50% of my pay cheques on clothing.”


Second: “I was spending at least 10 hours in the mall per week, I was always wearing new things to work...”

However, she had a change of heart after reading about a woman's plan to buy no new clothing for one year.

Renee said: “I started wondering what my motivation was for these purchases. Did I really need nine pink sweaters and 12 variations of black pointy-toed stilettos?  I started feeling more like a chump than a stylish chick.  I like to consider myself intelligent and environmentally conscious.  However, my shopping 'habit' was not indicative of this.”

I was encouraged to read about Renee's change.

Stay tuned.

***

Have you read anything lately that made you change direction? A book, article, post, etc.?

I’d like to read it too.

.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Hi there!

I came to you by way of Bobbie's blog. You asked the question on this post if anything had changed our direction that we'd read or done etc...lately.

I did a post about "Paying it Forward" because I was a winner by being one of the first three people to leave a comment on a post. She was doing a contest about "Paying it Forward" and she sent all three of us a gift!

Next, each of us posted a post on our blogs and continued the fun to the first three people to respond to our posts. It was a lot of fun and I've heard from so many people and how much joy they've gotten by "paying it forward."

This concept is based on the movie "Pay it Forward" with Helen Hunt and Kevin Spacey and the giving and receiving are each so rewarding!!!

This is one thing that has sure changed a lot of folks attitudes and way of thinking, myself included.

Don't know if this is what you were looking for, but it was sure wonderful!

Good luck on your article!!!

G. Harrison said...

hi kelly,

i haven't seen the movie but have heard of the concept.

i think passing kindness and goodwill to others is certainly a powerful idea; when self takes a back seat to others we gain tremendous rewards in the long run.

well done.

cheers,

gord h.