Saturday, November 29, 2008

Sat., Nov. 29 is Buy Nothing Day - hey, that’s today

If you didn’t already know today is a day to sleep in, watch cartoons with the kids, eat Fruit Loops right out of the box and stay in peejays until noon.

‘Til two in the afternoon is fine with me.

It’s also Buy Nothing Day, celebrated shortly after the US Thanksgiving so people who can’t stand up without a head rush (turkey gravy does it to me every time) have a chance to recover.


[Old poster, same goal]

Wikipedia informs me it was founded by Vancouver artist Ted Dave “as a day for society to examine the issue of over-consumption.”

Adbusters magazine states that it “isn’t just about changing your habits for one day but about starting a lasting lifestyle commitment to consuming less and producing less waste.”

That’s not a bad goal to think about one day per year.

And sorry about the head rush thingy.

.

4 comments:

bobbie said...

I love this poster!

Mojo said...

Somewhere in Long Island there's a family thinking, "Too bad they couldn't have scheduled this a day earlier." Then again, it might have only postponed the inevitable.

Do you sense a rant coming on? (Oh yes you do.)

G. Harrison said...

you have me thinking, mojo.

BN Day does postpone rather than change people's plans, myself included I'm afraid. Unless I sand a seven-foot length of B.C. cedar by hand. Perhaps the new mantelpiece will seem more significant if I skip the trip for sand paper and just do it myself.

I'm thinking...

cheers, gord h.

Anonymous said...

Good rant mojo! What an awful story.