Sunday, December 28, 2008

Deforest City Blues: Are today’s cities too costly to maintain?

Recently, while driving on Elmwood Ave., a block from my house, I noticed (again) the terrible condition of the street and many connected to it, and a troubling thought went through my little round head.

Is our city deteriorating faster than we can maintain it?

Consider the following:

countless roads, sewers, water lines etc. need extensive, costly repairs


infrastructure costs are increasing

our city sprawls, is not compact

as sprawl continues, more costly roads etc. are built

it appears we already have more streets etc. than we can maintain

I predict:

we’re paving a new street in a far-off suburb today that will require repairs in the future that will forever be ignored

Solution:

more small, attractive living spaces near the centre of the city

more bicycle-friendly lanes

***

Is your city in trouble? Predictions? Solutions?

.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoy reading your posts because, on the whole, they reflect what I'm thinking too. The problem is I can't talk about these issues (peak oil, self-sufficiency, post-car society, the long emergency) to many of my friends as they'd consider me some kind of doomesday prophet. Do people say that kind of thing to you and how to you respond?

G. Harrison said...

Hi Jesse,

I think because I write a weekly column I have a great advantage - I get to stake out my turf about any number of topics.

However, I can get involved later in high-wire balancing acts, whether at The Roaster for coffee, in the dressing room before and after a hockey game, or in the shed when enjoying a beverage with friends.

But when I'm with others I truly like asking people dozens of questions (retired school teacher!) re the troubled economy (are there other causes besides the housing collapse in the US? will Canada survive? why do you think so?), price of gas (why is it so low right now? will it go up again next summer?), global warming (did you read Lorrie Goldstein's article re global cooling yesterday? is he right?) etc.

Everybody seems to have opinions (about everything - like me) and will listen better once they've said their piece.

I think a lot of excellent discussions come about as a result of a well-timed question. People are thinking about climate change, oil depletion etc. and when the moment is right will participate in a give and take, albeit short at times.

Another secret; keep reading and referring good books (many people depend on TV or the newspaper and get the high points but not the background); many people will admit to themselves they aren't well-read and if a good quote comes to mind they'll think more of you, not less, though they may not ever say so.

The main thing I've learned over the last few years is to keep and use a sense of humour. I used to get into heated debates and now i try to keep things light. Less is more.

cheers,

Mr. H.